Targeted at the unique and extensive activities involved at the end of field life in the rapidly evolving oil and gas decommissioning sector, this new range of digital learning courses from Atlas Knowledge Group provides the essential knowledge and change in mind-set required to appreciate the fundamentals of decommissioning.
Estimates for decommissioning in the North Sea alone are projected to be between £40 to £70 billion (40% - 80% on well abandonment) over the next 35 years.
The Atlas courses have been designed for anyone connected to or with an interest in decommissioning, including operators, contractors, regulators, NGOs and the financial services sector. The content is suitable for the international market and the decommissioning activities planned or underway in the UKCS, Norway, Gulf of Mexico and Australia.
Eventually all offshore installations must be decommissioned; removed, reused or disposed, depending on location specific regulations. Ageing plant is a significant safety issue and is a contributory factor in 30% of all MARS incidents.
Companies have a legislative responsibility to ensure cost-effective, environmentally friendly and safe solutions. Individuals should be aware of the processes and activities to deliver to these requirements.
The new dedicated range includes six titles starting with:
· An awareness level Introduction to decommissioning covering what influences the decommissioning process, types of installation decommissioned and the key phases in a programme. The other five titles in the range are pitched at a more detailed level of understanding:
· Subsea infrastructure decommissioning covers the elements of subsea infrastructure that are decommissioned and how it is done, the preparations before work can begin and recovered materials
· Facilities decommissioning includes what tasks are performed during hook-down, how topsides and substructures are removed and how external factors impact the work
· Permanent well abandonment explores how well plugging and abandonment fits in with the timeline of a decommissioning project and what influences the process, the stages involved in well plugging and abandonment and the risks and challenges faced
· Planning for decommissioning covers a typical project timeline highlighting the key phases and activities associated with decommissioning, critical factors that influence planning for decommissioning and what affects the delivery
· Dismantlement and resource management includes why resource management is needed and the resources decommissioning generates, where and how dismantlement takes place and the importance of reporting.
These courses can be completed individually, combined or as the full comprehensive range dependent on the leaners specific requirements.
Our design and development approach utilises the latest techniques and technologies such as interactive scenarios, 3D graphics and adaptive assessment to bring to life the insights and experience from our subject matter expert partners Amec Foster Wheeler.
We combined learning from real case studies with international standards and best practice to create courses which are applicable to learner’s in different sectors and locations around the world.
The full range of courses are multi-device compatible (HTML5), meaning that they can be completed on desktop computers, laptops and tablet devices and the mainstream operating systems. They feature a final assessment with two banks of randomised questions and an 100% pass mark. Failed questions will re-direct the learner back to the related content for the learning objective before being assessed again.
Atlas’ commercial director Kevin Short said: “Our decom range is more relevant and applicable to learners across more geographies and sectors. Consulting with decom experts meant we could include case study based scenarios to contextualise the learning and identify consequences.
“Many other decom courses overlook the myriad of legal complexities and environmental regulations. We covered these off with clear guidance on the variances and where to source the latest data. The advantages of planning from an early stage is another area that is unique to our decom range.
“We are confident our digital solutions will bring clarity and structure to our learners and delivering efficiencies to companies through giving time back.”